Friday, December 02, 2005

Reader to PJM. Hello? Anybody there?

Glenn Reynolds over at Instapundit is simply amazing. I really don't know how he is able to gather and post to so many interesting stories on a daily basis. I guess when you are known as the "Blogfather" you have to live up to your reputation. I've recently observed that Glenn has started including a lot of links to Pajamas Media and wondered about this new venture that I don't understand. I don't understand the need for it. I don't understand the business model.

If participating bloggers are contributing to the business bottom line, does that mean that they are obliged to inform their readers of such obligations? If Pajamas Media is excluding certain bloggers from their links because it doesn't serve their business purposes, is it obliged to inform its readers?

Everybody rails about the MSM and its slippery way of distorting or not telling the truth. As the blogging world becomes more powerful and more influential, does it have a responsibility to its audience that has not been addressed?

I'm asking these questions because I have yet to see any blog that is involved with PJM actually address it beyond superficial acknowledgments of opening week glitches and the embarrassing name change. What's going on? Nobody has a problem talking about the NYT's internal problems or the NYT's inability to honestly discuss them in public. Same with every other media outlet.

Before anybody gets their panties in a wad, I know that business demands do not allow a public airing of the behind the scenes activities of such a venture, but I would at least like to understand how the various bloggers that I have come to trust (a few are listed to the right) are possibly shifting their focus to meet their financial interests. Why isn't this being discussed?

As I mentioned previously, Tim Blair has stepped away from PJM. He's not talking so we have no idea what really triggered his move. I don't need, or I guess really have the right, to know, but I sure am curious.

In the absence of information though, there will be speculation. And it will be by bloggers that have already expressed their distaste (to use a polite word) for Pajamas Media that will do the most vocal speculating. I think for the good of PJM, they need to start educating their readers before somebody else does it for them.

Add to Technorati Favorites